I love pierogies! Seriously, who wouldn’t love pasta filled with mashed potatoes and cheese? Yes, I know that’s not all they can be filled with, but that’s always how I have them. If you’ve never tried them, you should! I introduced my husband to them about a year ago and they’ve become a staple meal in our household.
I love having the pierogies with a sauce so I decided to add some meat to a creamy tomato sauce and it was a hit!
I recently made it for my grandparents and they fell in love. I left the recipe with her so she will be able to make it for my grandfather again and again.
So there are a few things I’d like to comment on the differences in doing the recipe in the Bahamas and in Canada. In the Bahamas, I can get Jimmy Dean’s sausage and that’s all I use. In Canada, at least in Collingwood, I couldn’t find Jimmy Dean and went with just a plain pork sausage, next time I won’t. I would use the Hillshire Farm sausages and just cut the casings off. Also, the box of pierogies that I use has roughly 12 in the box, but in Canada, the box I bought had 24, so I should have made a double batch of sauce, but I didn’t.
Check out the recipe below.
Pierogies with Sausage Sauce
- Pierogies – 12 (roughly 1 box)
- Sausage – 1 lb.
- Tomato Sauce – 15.5 oz.
- Heavy Cream – 1 cup
- Red Pepper Flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Onion Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Garlic Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Italian Seasoning – 1/2 tsp
- Brown Sausage and season with all seasonings above.
- Add tomato sauce and season again with seasonings above.
- Add heavy cream, stir to combine, and let simmer.
- Boil or fry pierogies, if frying, just use a little oil or butter and keep flipping to obtain a nice crust.
- When pierogies are finished add them to the sauce and let cook with the sauce for roughly 5 mins.